Saturday, April 24, 2010

Male students don't hate practicing a dialogue

Just from my limited experience and from things I've heard, I had an idea that boys, compared to girls, would be reluctant to say something aloud in a foreign language, like repeating/imitating key phrases or practicing a dialogue.

I've been teaching in a women's university for the last 6 years (where I saw girls liked these activities), and now I have started teaching in a coeducational university this April, it's a chance to observe how boys learn and see if/how they learn differently from girls.

This week I gave them a lot of these speaking-aloud activities, wondering how they'd like them. 90 % of them are boys, and it turned out boys as well as girls did enjoy pronunciation practice using a song and dialogue practice in pair, saying they wanted to do more.

Good to know, but I was a bit surprised. I sure remember seeing some reluctant boys when I taught 8 to 10 years ago. Current students and previous ones may have different personalities or attitude. Probably I do different things from what I did years ago. Hmmm. Any way, it's good to know (again) boys don't hate speaking-aloud kinds of activities, and I'll keep looking at my students for a while, keeping in mind Gender Differences in Learning(NASSPE).

No comments:

Post a Comment